Σάββατο 2 Αυγούστου 2014

Words

I really need to get back into my writing...

Often ideas will come up and I ll be too far from some way of note taking, or driving, and ideas get forgotten.. One of my favorites (and quite possibly one which will guarantee a dearth of material and inspiration) is Greek words with very specific or peculiar meanings..

Words being the basis of communication, they often convey so much more than a simple meaning..

Words convey feelings and beliefs, they have histories, they often define the speaker, even in their abuse...

Take the greek word "Stratokavlos". Little known I am sure to my englsh speaking friends it means "he-who-gets-a-"hard on"-out-of-anything-army-related".

Reserved usually for the skinhead, nationalist type, it also defines many of those working for the Armed forces, Police etc. not all...

the Greek Stratokavlos reads magazines like "Defence news"  often sports a tatoo of the Greek flag or an ancient warrior, is pretty good at some form of hand combat, or likes to think he is, often goes hunting, and believes violence to be a solution to most problems...

Bit like Israel really...

I get to meet many Israelis. A lot of them have boats and sail our waters (obviously they are safer)
I don't like  what is happening in Gaza, and why not say it I don't like what the Israeli government is doing in Gaza and Palestine, but I cannot and will not fall into the trap of defining a "people" by the actions of its "nation" or government. Yes I do wonder if maybe the Israelis opposing their governments decisions and actions could do a bit more against it...but I get the sense that Israeli Ultra-nationalists have done a great job over the years of creating a strong following of Stratokavlous citizens... both men and women go thorugh National Service and no joke like here... they are seriously trained killing machines... and they believe what they are doing is right.

A lot of the Israelis I have met over the years have this air of "superiority" they truly believe they are "better" or seem to exude this...but then again so do many of the rich americans and ultra-capitalist and neo-liberal  twats I have met...

I am loathe to put a "tag" on a people.. There are some really nice Israelis just like there are nice Arabs and Jews, and Greeks, and Americans...and every other race under the sun...

Why do we say "race"? it implies thjat someone has to come first and that is not true...

There a lot of nice people out there... everywhere.. just like there are a lot of Stratokavloi and wankers..everywhere... even inside us...inside almost everyone there is an idiot-in-waiting... the enemy is within..

That's where the fight is...

We need to make ourselves our better. for our children's sake. for the sake of life....

to be cont'd

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου